Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Up in the Air and Across the Pond

Time Traveled: 8h
Distance Traveled: 4,255 miles

Flying is really fun, but not when there are delays! Kristen and I ended up stuck at BTV Monday night for at least an extra hour due to weather. At least there were people to talk to at my gate:

14FEB2011

But it looked like Kristen's gate was a lot more fun.

14FEB2011


We both eventually got off the ground and though our layovers were short, we both made our connecting flights. Before I knew it, I was on European soil, almost exactly 300 km west of Bielefeld, Germany, where my sister is studying German! Can't wait to see her!

I made it in to TXL (Berlin-Tegel Airport) and was able to successfully ask a taxi driver to bring me to my host's apartment in a neighborhood which had been a part of East Berlin.

"Guten tag. Torstraße eins sieben sechs, Bitte. Kann ich bitte eine Quittung haben? Danke."
 The driver laughed at me a little, but I did get to where I needed to be! I'm staying with Brian, who is a post-doc at Potsdam University and shares an office with my advisor's colleague, Eric, whom I will be working with. He has a great apartment in East Berlin and I'm sure I'll get to do some exploring while I'm here. First stop, though, is the grocery store!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I understood everything you wrote except Quittung at first.... I was confused about what exactly it was you wanted from the cabbie... ;-)

    Viel Spaß und gute Reise!

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work by Eric W. Portenga is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.