Monday, May 16, 2011

Another Adventure Begins Tomorrow

I am back from being sedentary for the last month and a half and tomorrow I start off on what will be another fantastic journey! I will be leaving Burlington and it's mid-50s, rainy weather for......low-30s, rainy weather in Greenland!

I have yet to pack, but I have been stocking up on clothing and gear to help me combat the elements on the perimeter of the Greenland Ice Sheet!

Tomorrow my advisor and I drive down to Scotia, New York and will meet up with our two colleagues. The next morning, we will head over to the Air National Guard base and board our C 130, where we will sit in bucket seats for 6-7 hours on the trip to Kangerlussuaq on the west-central margin of the Ice Sheet.
Our flight from Scotia, NY takes us to Kangerlussuaq (blue). We then fly AirGreenland to Nuuk (green) and Narsaq (purple). The return trip takes us back up to Kanger and we'll fly back to New York.
We will spend a few days in Kanger collecting sediment samples from modern and abandoned stream channels. The tricky thing is that the weather has been below freezing for a while, so the ground may be frozen solid, making it difficult for us to get sediment. The cool thing, though, is that the latest reports mention that the sea ice has not yet melted, so we should get a show of icebergs in the harbors.

After Kanger, we fly to Narsaq in the south via Nuuk, the capital of Greenland. In Narsaq, we will have the opportunity to helicopter around from site to site collecting our samples! We will be in Narsaq for a few days and then we fly back to Nuuk, where we will spend a night, and then it's back up to Kanger for another day before getting back on the C 130 for the flight home!

This weekend, I bought a new camera (a Canon Rebel T3) so I should come back with some fantastic photos of icebergs, musk oxen, glaciers, and maybe even some Greenlandic Viking heritage!

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you have a blog, Eric. What a cool way I'll get to read about your travels. Have fun in Greenland! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work by Eric W. Portenga is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.